November is World Vegan Month, so I thought I’d post a few recipes that might tempt you into trying vegan food. The first week is a seasonal favourite of mine: pumpkin cake. I’m not sure of the origin of this recipe – I think I got it from my mum, but don’t know where she got it from! It’s a very simple recipe, and I passed it on to a work colleague who made the cake for a leaving do and it tasted better than when I make it!
Vegan pumpkin cake
- 12 oz / 350g pumpkin cubes (peeled & chopped flesh)
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons syrup
- 2 ½ oz / 75g brown sugar
- 9 oz /260g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 4 oz / 120g dates chopped or sultanas
- Peel and cut the pumpkin to create the amount of pumpkin needed. Cook the pumpkin cubes in a little water and then puree or whiz up.
- Add the oil and syrup to the pumpkin puree and whiz again.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Sift in the flour and all spices and baking powder. Stir well.
- Add the dried fruit. Stir well.
- Grease a big loaf tin. Bake at 190C for 45mins to 1 hour. Cool slightly before removing from tin.